Thursday, September 4, 2008

Enterprise #1 - Changing my view on journalism

The future of journalism is becoming gradually an independent affair, with more mixed media skills required and less of the traditional training than before.  As we discussed in JRN 270, our generation is gradually becoming the providers of content, and expecting to participate in that discourse.  I completely agree with the fact that we no longer know a time when the public was not really controlling the media.  Now more than ever anyone can create a blog, and I feel a sort of intimidation that comes along with that knowledge.  When I got into journalism I always had this ideal picture of working in an editorial staff, with the vision of that newspapers carbon paper and bold headlines right before me.  I know that the profession is changing, yet I never before have thought of amazing writers as being online with their blogs.  I know my viewpoint is about to change dramatically, and I'm ready to read some great blogs regularly.  

On that thought though, I heard (actually my sister heard and called to tell me) on NPR the other day that the University of MIssouri is creating a national scene because they were cutting budgets and decided they could not afford the school newspaper. Nationally acclaimed journalists began calling in to protest and explain their frustration. But isn't that just a changing point, not a death of journalism? Shouldn't we be happy about the change? I know we are told we should be, at least, and I am trying to be. On the newspaper's side, there is just something about holding a piece of news, a source of valuable information, in your own hands. Is it really the death of an era, though? Is it something to really be missed, or a chance to be more adequately equip ourselves with knowledge? As another blogger, "Journerdism" says, "The Internet is changing everything in our culture and to ignore the new tools it offers to leverage the vast and wonderfully deep, previously unavailable information to your competitive advantage would be foolish." (You can read his whole article here: http://www.journerdism.com/2008/09/01/new-journalism-tools-data-analytics-and-social-media-tracking/ )
I would have to agree with that observation. I think I'm finally ready for change.

No comments: