Sunday, September 7, 2008

Enterprise Entry #2- Facts or Judgements?

While watching CNN today, I kept in mind my assumed future career and my classes. It was midway through that I had the realization that journalism today is, in my opinion, excessive and not about "just the facts." Audiences now must be fed their opinions through others. Not only do these reporters not allow for the audience to be free thinkers, but they do not show the audience what is fact and what is mere speculation. Journalism has always had the threat of being "yellow," or sensationalized. Now, however, it is becoming increasingly over-dramatized and over-analyzed. The hype is becoming more and more offensive to me as I watch discussions on at all hours of the day about the same story, just feeding audiences what they are supposed to think.

It synonymous with the presidential campaign. The issues are not present anymore in media. Media has gradually evolved into a game, as it does during this season, and this is why I (n the past) have chosen not to be emotionally involved in political campaigns. But maybe I have been misled. Maybe I should have been more active. I know this is an evasive and ignorant way of explaining why I hadn't been more involved, but perhaps I would have been more intrigued if I had heard more facts, more actual stances and events to sway me in my political choice. The numbers are obvious in pointing to what actually gets printed.

I know my opinions are jaded, and I can see the other side of the media telling me that they do give facts, you just have to look. I just hope that journalism does not drift toward giving only convictions and still presents unbiased facts as well. I realize there is always a place for opinion writing, and I enjoy reading it and producing it (as I am now) as much as anyone. I just hope to see some of both types of writing out there. I'm not completely confident on this subject, so I hope I learn more in our class about types of writing and where they are appropriate.

No comments: